It really has been an exhausting, learning experience, and stressful weekend. We spent most of this last week getting Elijah ready for the Regional Science Fair. Elijah has put in a lot of time on his project and had felt really good about his project. We met with his advisers this week, practiced his interview, stayed up countless hours redoing his board and rewritting his project. I took Elijah on Friday to set-up his project and we were able to get a sneak peak at his competitors. I was stunned! I know that this is the first time we have ever done Science Fair, but I was shocked at the caliber of projects that the kids had come up with. I knew once Elijah saw the other projects he was pretty worried.
His interview was on Saturday, and when I came to pick him up, he was the shade of milk (If he could be any paler!). He said that the judges had told him that his project didn't make sense and that it was horrible. I felt so bad for him. He still wanted to go to the award ceremony that night to see how his friends did. When it came to his category, I prayed my heart out that he would get some kind of recognition......and they gave him "Honorable Mention". Not all the kids got that and I knew my prayers were answered. My dilemma now is trying to convince him that that was a good thing. He keeps telling me that it means failure. This whole process has been a definite growing experience, I just pray that I am handling it right.







3 comments:
Just remind Elijah how many kids don't even make it out of their own classrooms much less to the REGIONAL science fair...smart kids...I'll call you...we were down last week with Strep throat! But we are all better now!! Can't wait to see you next week!
You better call that Jamie and tell her you're not coming!
I agree with Jamie - Elijah is super smart and to make it to regionals says a lot about him!
I can't believe that it has really been a year - yikes! Get back here!
Yikes. Lots of catching up on your blog, Missy! Scott cheered a really outloud, verbal cheer that Sam does not have to do Pinewood Derby again, either. Unfortunately, Sam did not have a Grandpapa to help make a fantastic car, so each car was either made with help from Mom or Dad (who wasn't a scout). Unfortunately, we never had the good race-car genes in our family. We never won.
Post a Comment